Many countries nowadays offer grants for single mothers, an example is the United Kingdom. Being a single mother can be a fulfilling but taxing job because the aside from the responsibility of being a mother, the responsibilities of a father fall in their hands too. Statistics do show that the number of teen pregnancy and divorce still arises which, in turn; produce many broken families and single mothers. In well off countries where the numbers for single mothers are high, grants are awarded to deserving candidates who wish to pursue their studies, open a small business, buy a house and those who are, simply, in need of extra financial assistance.
Educational grants for single mothers come in different packages and deals but are common to a single goal; to help single mothers achieve higher education to benefit the future of their families.
– The Horizon Education Fund, for example, grants about 500 to 1,500 pounds for expenses regarding education and training. However, the applicant must show that the courses taken can improve their job skills to increase the chances of landing a job in the future. The Horizon Education Fund, which is open to all United Kingdom citizens, also provides free services such as financial management via Citizens Advice Bureau and job hunting through the Gingerbread organization. Any single mother earning under the low-income bracket who has applied for statutory funding is eligible for this grant.
– Another type of education grant is the Access to Learning Fund which also considers, other than single mothers, graduating seniors, caregivers, older students, and disabled students. This grant mostly offered to enrolled single mothers who are in need of financial assistance for their daily living and child-rearing cost. Those who are considering dropping their education because of financial constraints and those who are experiencing unforeseen financial problems may also qualify for this grant.
– In addition, the Family Action Education Grants are mostly for refugees, Immigrants from Africa, and British-born citizens. Any person at any age can apply for this grant because the income level is what determines to whom the grant will be granted. First, the applicant must be enrolled in an accredited college and single mothers who under study medical-related field or computer-related causes will be given priority with the screen for this grant.
Education grants may not cover 100 percent of the expenses, the grant may be used to pay for books tuition fee and housing.
There are also grants that help single mothers with their daily expenses.
– Child Care grants are awarded to families which find it difficult to provide their children with quality care an example is the Mid-Yorkshire Social Work Fund. As its name implies, this grant is open for residents of North Yorkshire or West Yorkshire who are also enrolled in a GSSC or General Social Care Council accredited course and an accredited school or college such as the University of Bradford, the University of Huddersfield, and the University of Leeds at Wakefield, the University of York, and the Bradford College. Some requirements for this grant are a letter of recommendation from a professor, a tutor, or the program director which states that the applicant is indeed enrolled under the accredited course and college. This type of grant is awards a maximum of 500 pounds per parent annually and has no deadline for application.
– Another kind of grant for single mothers in the United Kingdom is the Family Service Unit Grant which is awarded by the government. This grant prioritizes single mothers who have low income and is experiencing financial difficulties. In addition, this grant is open to the inner city inhabitants of Scotland and England. For this specific type of grant, the applicant goes to the assigned local FSU social worker and the social worker makes a recommendation and applies for the grant on the applicant’s behalf. The FSU grant awards up to 300 pounds to cover both expected and unexpected expenditures wherein the expected expenses are clothing, heating and home bills and incidents such as dishwasher break down are considered as unexpected expenses.
– Housing and Small Business grants are other government-administered grants that may be availed by a single mother. Housing grants may cover some, if not all, of the housing expenses. The funding that this fund provides may come in different forms, which include food stamps, grant money and subsidized housing. Other gifts may also come as housing vouchers from public housing agencies. The families granted with these vouchers may use them for mortgage or rent payment. This government-administered grant targets families with a low monthly income and whose annual income is considered below average.
– On the other hand, there is also the Small Business Grant for single mothers who are interested in putting up business ventures to provide for their families. This grant may cover business expenses from the capital to business expansion, equipment purchases and labor payment before profit is earned. The criteria for awarding this grant lies in the business’ value to the community. It is due to this reason that the applicant should be prepared because among the grants for single mothers in the United Kingdom, the small business grant is the most competitive of all.
Anywhere, around the globe, child-rearing is deemed difficult even with a partner and more so for single parents. Without support, the family may face difficulties and fall apart even more. It is a blessing that more and more grants for single mothers in the United Kingdom are awarded in different states. Through these grants, single mothers will have a fighting chance at giving their families the best care they truly deserve. Younger mothers, or even the older ones, can choose to go back to school also to improve their skills thereby increasing the chances of getting hired by good and reputable offices. As these grants for single mothers do not have to be repaid in monetary units, the awardees may commit to community service as an exchange for the funding. Generally, some requirements for grants are proof of residency in the region where the grant is being applied for and proofs of formal education such as diplomas.
Not Seeing what you are searching for? Try our search box..