How to Apply for Food Stamps Online
Before you decide to apply for food stamps online you need to first understand the purpose of the program. This should help you determine if you are qualified to apply for this government assistance.
Food stamp program was formulated to help families and individuals who are in dire need of assistance. This assistance is provided in terms of food or with the use of food stamps.
To obtain this food assistance you may submit your application for food stamps online, which will be evaluated by the local government of the state you are applying for.
Eligibility and Determination
To prevent people from taking advantage of the food stamp assistance program, eligibility and determination screening has been implemented all over United States. The goal is to verify the credibility of applicants and identify who truly needs assistance from the government. Usually, food stamps are granted only after every 3 months which can be repeated whenever necessary.
Eligibility calculators were implemented online to help determine whether you are a qualified food stamp applicant and the amount you would be entitled to avail. The calculations are based on:
- The income of your entire household which include your salary, earning from self employment and child support. The same income information should also be declared for every adult member of your household.
- Number of dependents who are living in your home such as your children, disabled family members and senior citizens.
- Total amount of your monthly expenses such as living allowances and recurring medical fees, if any.
- Checking and savings account balances of your entire household are also included in the computation.
Additional Papers and Requirements
Aside from this computation, you will also need to submit additional paper works and information that are necessary to push through with your application.
- First and foremost you have to be a US citizen, a qualified alien or an American Indian before you can apply for food stamp assistance.
- You have to have documents that can serve as your proof of address.
- You must have a Social Security number.
- Social Security number and birth certificate of every family member that you are claiming for. You will be instructed to send these documents at the later period of the application.
- The details of the car you are driving and the amount of your pending car loan if any. In some states applicants are required to provide statement of all your personal assets.
- The school information of your children who are living with you. Information of household member who require constant medical care.
- You will also need to submit information about your employer. In some states the employers are also required to fill out a separate paperwork.
Sometimes some applicants who qualify under special circumstances are given immediate benefits as deemed necessary by the government.
- Applicants whose total monthly earnings are less than their monthly mortgage or rent.
- People who have less than $100 liquid assets and less than $150 monthly income.
- A migrant who run out of funds and has less than $100 worth of liquid assets.
After Filing the Application
After filling up all the necessary information on your food stamp online application, you can finally submit them and wait for a reply. A code or an email maybe provided after the submission. The email will be sent to the email address you have provided, which should contain a code or a confirmation receipt pertaining to your submission.
The schedule of your interview will be sent to you via email or through a phone call, fourteen days after you submit your application. In case childcare, work or for health reasons you cannot come on the set date, your interview will be done over the phone.
The purpose of the interview is to gather more information about your current status and to make sure that everything you say is similar to what is written on your application. This is also the government’s way of verifying if there had been any major changes in your household from the time you have submitted your application, which could affect your overall financial status.
Approval of Food Stamp Online Application
The interview completes the evaluation process of your food stamps online application. The results of the evaluation will determine whether your application has been approved or denied, which will be communicated to you via mail. Approved application entitles you to receive an electronic benefits transfer or EBT which is very similar to that of a debit card. The government uses this card to various citizen welfare assistance program such as food stamps.
Once you receive your EBT card you have to place a phone call to confirm that you have already received your card. After which, you can finally start using your EBT for your food purchases. Remember, the only things that you can buy with your EBT are food items under the USDA’s SNAP program which is exactly what you have applied for when you signed a food stamps online application.
Not Seeing what you are searching for? Try our search box..